1-800-806-3210 x
or Email or Schedule Your Free Consultation

Type in the box below to Search VisaCoach

I do the work. YOU get the gal (or guy)!    Click to CALL  or EMAIL the VisaCoach
How to complete I-485 Application to register Permanent residence or adjust status

The application for Adjustment of Status

More details will be available from AdjustmentOfStatusSecrets.com

I-485 forms may be obtained directly from USCIS or downloaded from our website.


Adjustment of Status

Once the couple marries, USCIS MUST be notified in order to change the Fiancee's status from that of a foreigner visiting the U.S. for 90 days, to that of a foreigner now married to a U.S. citizen entitled to remain in the U.S. indefinitely as a Permanent Resident. The form to use is I-485, Adjustment of Status. As soon as possible the I-485 should be completed and submitted to USCIS. When this is approved, her status is officially changed to that of a Conditional Resident. She is given a drivers licence sized id card confirming her permission to remain in the U.S. . This is traditionally called her "Green Card".

Don't plan to leave the U.S. for your honeymoon. While waiting for the "Green Card" it is best that the new spouse NOT travel outside of the U.S. After she receives her permanent residency she can travel freely.

Advanced Parole:

There may come a need for your Fiancee (now your spouse) to leave the U.S. before the "Green Card" arrives.    She should notify USCIS via form I-131 Advance Parole. This will allow her to travel, and reenter the U. S. and to obtain her "Green Card."  Should she leave without obtaining the Advance Parole before her Conditional Residency is approved, she may lose her eligibility for residence and be required to start the visa petition process all over again, this time applying for s spousal K-3 visa.  It is best she waits until the "Green Card" arrives.

Please be careful to complete this form completely, legibly and honestly.

Type or print in black ink.

Write “None” in fields where appropriate.

Write “N/A” in fields where appropriate.

For additional line by line instructions on what answers are acceptable and expected, download a copy of Adjustment of Status Secrets.

For samples of cover letters, etc.,  download a copy of Adjustment of Status Secrets.

By Fred Wahl

Questions? call 1-800-806-3210 ext , or International: 1-213-341-0808 ext , or Fax 1-888-520-9613
Open 7 Days a Week
VisaCoach, 3525 Del Mar Heights Road, Suite 408, San Diego, CA 92130