US Embassy Tokyo Japan

US Embassy Japan K1 Visa Interview in Tokyo Japan

Embassy Name & Address
US Embassy in Japan
Box 205
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420 Japan

Contact Information
(03) 3224-5000 (general switchboard)
(03) 5354-4033 (visa information)
00531-13-1353 (visa information alt. number)
FAX: (03) 3505-1862
FAX: 03-3224-5929

Embassy URL



Obtaining Police Certificate

To request a police certificate, Japanese applicants will need:

Passport(valid; no photo copy acceptable)
Either of the following documents:
1.An official copy of your Resident Card/ “Juminhyo”(issued within the last six months)
2.A document issued by the government or other official offices that shows your name and address(e.g. Alien Registration Certificate, Resident Register Card /”Jumin Kihondaicho Card” and etc.)

U.S. Embassy dated “Immigrant Visa Instructions” or request for a police certificate. If you filed an I-130 with NVC in the U.S. and received DS-3032(Choice of Address and Agent), NVC will send an applicant or agent the instruction package. Please follow the instruction by NVC.

Available. Japanese police certificates will not contain information about criminal convictions when:

1. The period of probation is completed;
2. Ten years have passed after the period of imprisonment is completed or waived, provided the individual has no further punishments or fines;
3. Five years have passed after paying a fine or after an imposed fine was waived without any further punishments or fines; 4. The conviction was vacated or the offender was subject to a pardon or amnesty;
5. The conviction is for minor traffic violations;
6. The offender is considered a minor under Juvenile Law article 60; or
7. The sentenced punishment was abolished after sentencing. The headquarters’ records section of the Metropolitan or Prefectural police issues certificates which include a nationwide criminal records check.

NOTE: A limited validity Japanese passport may be indicative of a criminal history in Japan, although a police certificate may not show a criminal background.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan: Foreign nationals holding legal resident status and Japanese citizens must apply in person at the Metropolitan or Prefectural police headquarters having jurisdiction over their present place of residence in Japan.
Processing time: approximately 3 weeks.

Applicants Outside of Japan: Former legal residents, former illegal aliens, and Japanese citizens, should apply at the nearest Japanese Consulate.
Processing time: Two to three months.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan as Illegal Aliens: Officially, the Japanese police will not process requests for police good conduct certificates from illegal aliens while they are physically present in Japan. In some cases, however, the police will issue the appropriate police certificate, provided that the illegal alien submits to deportation proceedings and agrees to leave Japan by a date specified by Japanese Immigration.

U.S. Forces, Japan (USFJ): Criminal records of the Japanese and USFJ police are not cross-indexed. Therefore, a crime that occurred in one jurisdiction may not be reported to the police of the other jurisdiction. USFJ applicants, (civilian employees or military personnel, and family members), who are physically present in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement, (SOFA) must show the results of a check of both Japanese and USFJ criminal records. This type of USFJ police certificate will explicitly state that Japanese as well as USFJ criminal records were both checked and give the results. Processing time: Approximately two months.

Other USFJ police agencies issue a police certificate stating that only USFJ criminal records were checked. Processing time: Approximately two weeks. Such applicants must then obtain a separate Japanese police certificate, as described above.

USFJ police certificates are unavailable to applicants outside of Japan. However, Defense Department law enforcement agencies may be able to determine if an applicant, who formerly resided in Japan under the SOFA, engaged in criminal activity.

Medical Exam Details
She should arrange to have her medical at latest 1-2 weeks before her consulate interview. She should fill in and bring her, passport, one visa photo, and her vaccination records. It is recommended she brings her vaccinations up to date while at the clinic. This is required later when she applies for her Green card in the USA, so by doing it now she will save herself time and expense later.

The clinic will give her a sealed envelope with her test results. She must NOT break the seal. She must bring the unopened envelope with her to the embassy interview.

The following clinics are authorized to conduct the medical.

Seibo International Catholic Hospital
5-1 Nakaochiai 2-chome
Shinjuku-ku, TOKYO 161-0032
Drs. Yasushi Nakamura, Yukako Inoue, Daisuke Miyamoto,Yoshimi Kanai, and Eri Kurakawa

Tokyo British Clinic
Daikanyama Y Bldg. 2F, 2-13-7
Ebisu-Nishi, Shibuya-ku,
TOKYO 150-0021
Drs. Gabriel Symonds, Kwok Wan

Tokyo Medical & Surgical Clinic
32 Shibakoen Building, 3-4-30
Shiba-Koen, Minato-ku, TOKYO
Drs. J.H.T. Marshall, Koichi Fujii, Peter Seez, Nicola Yeboah, and Keiko Tochikura Martin

Kobe Kaisei Hospital
3-11-15, Shinohara-Kitamachi,
Nada-ku, KOBE-Shi, Hyogo 657
Drs. Kouta Yamamoto, Yasuhisa Abe and Kentaro Matsumoto

Okinawa Adventist Medical Center
868 Aza Kochi, Nishihara-cho,
OKINAWA 903-0116
Drs. Norris Matsumoto, Darrell L. Vaughan, Atsushi Higa, Yasutsugu Yanami, Yukari Uehara-Dulan and Yuichi Yanami

It is recommended she brings her vaccinations up to date while at the clinic. This is required when she applies for her Green card, so by doing it now she will save herself time later.

Cost of Medical Exam
JPY 26,250 at the Tokyo British Clinic as of 2011 excluding vaccines.

By Fred Wahl